Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fear&Faith.

Ever had one of those days where you feel like Heavenly Father is scolding you?  When you feel like you're hearing and experiencing the same thing over and over again just from different people in different ways?  Well, that's how I felt this weekend...

The Message
  When I first started investigating the church, I was taught that fear and faith can not exist in the same mind.  When you have faith, you're trusting Heavenly Father and there is no reason to fear.  It makes sense, although most times it's easy to forget.
  This past weekend I had the opportunity to go "spelunking".  When my friend first invited me to go cave exploring I was expecting just a simple walk through a cave.  I was so wrong.  There was a lot more involved then just walking. There was climbing, crawling and crying.  OK, there wasn't really any tears but it was close.  Not only did it take us over and hour and a half to find the cave (thanks to searching in the wrong spot) but once we were inside, we couldn't find our way out.  As we walked in circles looking for the exit, some of our flash lights started to die.  Everyone started to panic.  Oddly unshaken, I told everyone to stop and asked my friend Moose to say a prayer.  The prayer was said and a few minutes later the exit was found.
  My friends kept commenting on how calm I was.  I didn't really know what to say other than I knew we'd find a way out.  I wasn't afraid because it wasn't necessary.  I knew Heavenly Father would protect us and that we would make it out safely, worrying about when or how wasn't going to make the situation any better.  We can't predict when we'll escape, but Heavenly father always makes a way; we just have to have faith and be ready when it's time for us to figure it out.
after finally making it out of the cave, such a mess.
 I was reminded of this message again while being visit taught.  This month's lesson was on the purpose of Relief Society and one of the main points was to increase faith and personal righteousness.  My visiting teacher reminded me of fear and faith and how they can't co-exist.  With fear, faith is absent along with your trust in the Lord.  When you increase your faith by removing your fear, you grow spiritually and increase your personal righteousness.
 Another opportunity I had this weekend was to attend our stake relief society conference.  The theme was "Queens in Training" and once again, I had the same concept echoed.  In one of the talks, the story of Peter walking on water was told.  For those of you not familiar with this story, here's a little run down:  Peter was a disciple of Christ.  While following Christ's instructions to sail across the Sea, a voice was heard that startled him and the others on the ship.  When Christ announced it was Him, Peter challenged Him by asking Him to allow him to walk on water.  Peter was able to step across the sea but when it started to get windy he got scared.  He slowly started to sink, the Savior came to his rescue and pulled him up.  After assuring his safety, Christ spoke these words, “O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?" (Matt. 14:31).  Like Peter, often times we feel like we're sinking, and then we sink.  When we let our fear overcome our focus and faith, we begin to lose control.  By focusing on trusting the Lord even during difficult times, He will support us and keep us afloat.  


Learn then Act
  Heavenly Father tests our faith by challenging it.  I've found that in life I begin to fear most when my life starts to change.   A part of me feels lost and unsure about what I'm doing.  It is then that I feel life's winds start blowing even harder and I begin to sink.  Times like these are when faith by action is most necessary.
  President Hugh B. Brown, formerly a member of the Twelve and a counselor in the First Presidency, told a story of purchasing a rundown farm in Canada many years ago. As he went about cleaning up and repairing his property, he came across a currant bush that had grown over six feet high and was yielding no berries, so he pruned it back, leaving only small stumps. Then he saw a drop like a tear on the top of each of these little stumps, as if the currant bush were crying, and thought he heard it say:

“How could you do this to me? I was making such wonderful growth. … And now you have cut me down. Every plant in the garden will look down on me. … How could you do this to me? I thought you were the gardener here.”  President Brown replied, “Look, little currant bush, I am the gardener here, and I know what I want you to be. I didn't intend you to be a fruit tree or a shade tree. I want you to be a currant bush, and someday, little currant bush, when you are laden with fruit, you are going to say, ‘Thank you, Mr. Gardener, for loving me enough to cut me down.’”                           
  
  The gardener, like our Heavenly Father, had to set the bush back so it could grow into what it was supposed to be.  When needed, God does the same to us and challenges our faith.  Most times, faith requires action because after all, faith without works is dead. Praying, repenting and helping others are all forms of action that help display our faith.
A Good Reminder
  While on Facebook, something bright green popped up on my news feed and caught my eye.  It was about these bracelets that someone had made to support her father.  The message on the bracelet: Replace Fear With Faith.  Perfect, right?
  Alexis Hill's father was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma Cancer, Large B Cell - Aggressive in March of 2008.  She designed these bracelets to share this strengthening message and raise funds to fight cancer.  My grandfather battled cancer for seven years and sadly passed away in August.  I know my Grandpa is now free from his pain and is watching over me, but my hatred for cancer remains strong.  Instead of fearing the dangers of cancer, we need to have faith in Heavenly Father and take action against its evils.  We should help in any way we can to find a cure.  When you purchase a bracelet, a portion of the funds are donated to the Lymphoma and Leukemia Society.  Join in the fight against cancer and help spread an encouraging message.  To learn more about these great bracelets and how you can help, click here.
  I know Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us.  It's what helps me get through my struggles.  It's not always easy to remember not to be afraid, but life always seems to work itself out when I remember to have faith.  Faith in God shows trust, love, and respect.  When we show Him we're able and willing to go the way he wants us to go we are blessed.  Don't let Satan or your fear of the unknown stop you from trusting Him.  We might not be able to see or understand His will at the time, but we will one day and then we'll thank Him, just as the currant bush thanked the gardener.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment