Tuesday, April 5, 2011

thankful for the sabbath

Latter-day Saints are known for "staying in" on Sundays.  They typically do not shop, go out to eat, or work on this day.  Many people question this restriction, wondering why there is a necessity for no activity on this final day of the week.  So, why do we hold Sunday to a different standard?  Sunday is the Sabbath, and we believe in keeping the Sabbath day holy. 
What is the Sabbath? 

The word Sabbath comes from the Hebrew shabbath, meaning day of rest. 

"Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates


For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it” (Ex. 20:8–11).


What do we do during the Sabbath and Why?
The Sabbath is a day to rest from our daily labors.  We don't work, study for school, or partake in anything else that adds to the day to day stress.  During the Sabbath, we stay unseen from the world as L. Tom Perry puts it.  While we are not working, we do our best to not make those around us work as well.  


President Kimball taught how we might observe the Sabbath: “The Sabbath is a day on which to take inventory—to analyze our weaknesses, to confess our sins to our associates and our Lord. It is a day on which to fast in ‘sackcloth and ashes.’ It is a day on which to read good books, a day to contemplate and ponder, … a day to study the scriptures and to prepare sermons, a day to nap and rest and relax, a day to visit the sick, a day to preach the gospel, a day to proselyte, a day to visit quietly with the family and get acquainted with our children, a day for proper courting, a day to do good, a day to drink at the fountain of knowledge and of instruction, a day to seek forgiveness of our sins, a day for the enrichment of our spirit and our soul, a day to restore us to our spiritual stature, a day to partake of the emblems of his sacrifice and atonement, a day to contemplate the glories of the gospel and of the eternal realms, a day to climb high on the upward path toward our Heavenly Father” (Teachings, 216).   



Spencer W. Kimball said that the Sabbath “contemplates quiet tranquility, peace of mind and spirit. It is a day to get rid of selfish interests and absorbing activities."

My testimony of the sabbath.
Since the beginning of the semester, I promised myself I would do my best to not study or do homework on the Sabbath.  With the exception of one time, I have kept true to that promise.  This past week however, I was convinced I was going to have to break the Sabbath and not only study but complete a homework assignment and go watch a dance performance to get extra credit.  I've been working so much lately and putting off my school work, I really did not want to do it on Sunday but I thought I had no other choice so I made the decision I would do it just this one time.  Well, I was wrong.  
This weekend was general conference (which will definitely be getting it's own post..or 20 of them because it was absolutely amazing!) [for those of you who are unsure what that is, it is a weekend where we get the opportunity to listen to the Lord's messengers.]  The very first talk was given by L. Tom Perry, one of the 12 apostles and guess what the topic was.  Keeping the Sabbath holy.  Of course he talked about it's importance and how we need to be examples and keep this day holy. Still, I tried to pretend that there are exceptions and my case was one of them.  Still wrong.  
Sunday came and I was blessed to spend it with the Nelson's (you'll hear LOTS about this family, I'm practically one of them..but for now just know it's my best friend's family).  WE watched conference, napped and ate an AMAZING dinner.  While waiting for the wonderful meal to digest and the food coma to wear off, we decided to watch a movie called, Journey of Faith.  This is an incredible documentary on Lehi's (unsure who this is?  you'll learn plenty about him soon, promise.) journey.  After the movie, I decided that although I really need the extra credit for my yoga class, (yes, yoga.  all you  need to know is it's at 8am and after too many absences you lose points.  oh and I'm not a morning person) I didn't really want to go to that dance show.  But I did need to leave so I could start my homework and study for my exam on Tuesday.  Just as I was about to pack up, a DVD caught my eye.  It was called, One Good Man.  Not gonna lie LDS movies are quite cheesy, but I love them.  After talking about the movie with the ToddFather (aka my best friend's dad.  talk about one good man) I decided to stay and watch it.  Good choice.  This movie was so inspiring and really taught me about family.  


In fact, this past year I've grown a lot closer to my family (another topic you'll hear much more about later).  This movie taught me a lot about how families work need to work together.  It was also an example for my future and the importance of worth priesthood holders and bishops.  I love my bishop and have so much respect for him, and now it's just intensified.
Ok back to the Sabbath.  I didn't break it, I didn't get any homework done and I didn't go to the dance show.  Instead, I rested.  I learned about the gospel and some of it's principles.  I read in the Book of Mormon.  I spent it with family (technically not my own, but it still counts).  It was such a good day.  I went home that night, happy.  I was rested and not stressed.  I went to bed early and was able to wake up early and accomplish everything I needed to.
I testify that when we work with the Lord, He works with us.  Everything He commands for us is for our own good.  We just have to trust Him.  




"Observing the Sabbath is not a restriction but a protection and a source of strength"

3 comments:

  1. I love your confessions of a convert thoughts! This was so sweet and sincere. That seems to happen to me a lot too, I think of all the stuff I need to do or should do on Sunday (especially when I was at ASU) but when I just commit to keeping the Sabbath day holy, I learn so much, feel so much more peace, well rested and everything always worked out. :) Also, I totally agree with how that movie intensified your respect and appreciation for your bishop. They do so much and all through the pure love of Christ. You're amazing, keep sharing your wonderful testimony! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i lovvve you!!!!!!!! I love the concept of your blog...and that you share all these amazing things! You're a gem

    ReplyDelete