Friday, June 24, 2011

1 Nephi 1

So in order to really study how the Book of Mormon is our story too, I have decided to highlight scripture verses that I find relevant and relate able to our lives today.  As always I'd love any suggestions or insight on anything you think I've missed or any questions you might have :) So without further adieu, let's get started!

photo by the talented and lovely Whitney Nelson
The Beginning.
In the very first verse, of the first chapter, of the first book, in the Book of Mormon, you can find a principle that is easily applicable to our lives today. 
"I, Nephi, having been aborn of bgoodly cparents, therefore I wasdtaught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many eafflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a frecord of my proceedings in my days." (emphasis added)
In this opening verse, Nephi gives credit for who he is to his parents.  Too often, we take our parents for granted and forget that we wouldn't be who we are without them.  I know some situations are more difficult than others, but if we try our best to hold our parents to this high standing as Nephi does, we can grow to appreciate them more and in turn gain more appreciation from them.

Nephi continues with a cause&counter-effect statement to describe how the Lord has blessed him.  It's as if he's saying, "I've had bad days but I know the Lord loves me."  By simply saying Nephi had "bad days," I'm definitely under-stating what he went through; yet, because of his faith in the Lord he was able to persevere and overcome his afflictions.  When we choose to focus on our faith, we too can brush off our hard times.  Just like Nephi, we are also highly favored of the Lord.  By not losing sight of this no matter what comes our way, we will overcome.

He then ends this verse with a cause&effect statement to show he knows what Heavenly Father wants of him.  He expresses his "knowledge of the goodness of God," and because of this he is recording the events in his days.  I believe that knowing the goodness of God is inherit when you gain your testimony; however, to know Him so well to know you need to do something shows your devotion to Him.  By consciously making an effort to become closer to our Heavenly Father, we can gain a better knowledge of what He would have us to do to fulfill His work.


No comments:

Post a Comment