Monday, June 13, 2011

Don't Get Mad, Get Glad

This Sunday, I was able to see one of my best friends who has left for his mission.  I "accidentally" bumped into Elder Smith at the temple.  I was so happy to see him and meet his companion Elder Muehlmann.  They are going to be great missionaries and will definitely touch many hearts.

Elders Muehlmann and Smith
After the temple, I went up to the Nelson's ranch for dinner.  Sunday dinner with the Nelson's is my favorite because I love them, the yummy food Amy cooks and the fantastic naps I take on the couch afterwards.  Before napping, we decided to watch a short film, which I can not remember the name of, on the atonement of Jesus Christ.  As the movie began to play I remembered watching it once before in institute during the week before Easter.  I was reminded how upset and saddened I was because of it.  Then it hit me: The atonement isn't sad, rather it is a beautiful gift that our Savior has given us so we can return with him and our Heavenly Father.  While the events Christ suffered are heart-breaking, we should be thankful for His sacrifice.  I love little simple reminders like this that this life is worth living and we do have a purpose on this Earth.  Show Christ your gratitude for His actions by understanding what He did and why.  Be an example to others and exemplify your knowledge.

I love my Heavenly Father and my savior, Jesus Christ.  My appreciation for the atonement grows immensely each time I am reminded of its purpose.  I'm thankful for young men and women, like Quinn and so many of my other friends who are out there sharing the light and truth of the gospel.  But most importantly, I'm so grateful for this knowledge and moments like this where I am renewed with a sense of self worth and reason to do and be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment